Aitken, Lilburn & Co.
Aitken, Lilburn & Co., “Loch” Line of Clipper Packets to Australia, 80 Buchanan Street.—
It is difficult to find in the annals of commercial enterprise a parallel instance to the success which has attended the operations of the well-known firm of Messrs, Aitken, Lilbum & Co., owners of the popular “Loch” Line of Clipper Packets to Australia,, ever since its establishment in 1867. This now gigantic business, like many more of a kindred nature, was limited at first to the dispatch of vessels only to the port of Melbourne. Soon followed ships bound for Sydney, and concurrently with the rapid development of trade and commerce with the Australian colonies, Messrs. Aitken, Lilbum & Co. gradually increased their fleet until at the present time the “Loch” Line numbers sixteen of the most splendidly appointed clipper ships sailing from any port in the world, and ranging from 1,200 to 2,000 tons register.
As the name of this line implies, each of these vessels bears the appellation of one of the far-famed Scottish lochs or lakes, thus associating, by this appropriate style of nomenclature, the beauties of Scottish scenery with the ever-increasing development of her trade and commerce. This, splendid fleet comprises the Loch Katrine, Loch Ness, Loch Tay, Loch Lomond, Loch Long, Loch Ryan, Loch Etive, Loch Shell, Loch Rannoch, Loch Sloy, Loch Vennachar, Loch Garry, Loch Moidart, Loch Broom, Loch Torridon, and Loch Carron. All these vessels, both as regards carrying capabilities, passenger comforts, and sailing qualities, are unsurpassed ; they are commanded by captains and officers whose qualifications are of the first order, and who combine with the seamanlike discharge of their duties that gentlemanly bearing and genial courtesy towards their passengers which render a voyage in any of these popular vessels a source of true comfort and enjoyment. These ships now sail at regular stated dates for Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Newcastle, Hobart, and Launceston.
This firm also manage the business of the Glasgow Shipping Company and the General Shipping Company. The partnership of the firm consists of Mr. James Aitken, Mr. James Lilbum, and Mr. William Hepburn, all these gentlemen taking active parts in the business. Mr. Aitken, it may be mentioned, is a director of the Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the “Clyde Sailing-Ship Association”, also a member of the “Marine Board” and “Shipowners’ Association”. Mr. Lilbum is a member of the “Clyde Lighthouse Trust”.
The head offices of the firm are situated at No. 80, Buchanan Street, and are in every way commensurate with the requirements of the company’s business, employing a very large staff of clerks, assistants, &c. Messrs. Aitken, Lilbum & Co. have ever been most strenuous in promoting and advancing the commercial prosperity of the city of Glasgow, and the extent and magnitude of their operations fully justify their position as one of its greatest and most influential mercantile houses.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)