James L. Arnot
James L. Arnot, Plumber and Gasfitter, 116, West Campbell Street.—
In connection with the plumbing and gasfitting industries a well-known firm, of which prominent mention must be made, is that of James L. Amot, 116, West Campbell Street. Established by Henderson & Amot in 1878, this business is now the property of Mr. Arnot. The premises consist of a handsomely fitted-up showroom ; offices, and private rooms, the workshop being in the rear, the latter being equipped with all the most suitable appliances for meeting hurried demands in repair work, and for executing every description of work in connection with plumbing and gasfitting. The trade, in which a large number of hands are employed, is chiefly local, a large business being done in baths, water closets, wash basins, pumps, water and gas pipes and gasfittings.
Mr. Amot was the plumber who executed the plumber work at the City Public Baths and Washing Houses at Main Street, Gobals, one of the largest in the city. He also did the plumbing and gasfitting work for a very large number of School Board Schools in the city and suburbs. At the same time we may mention that Mr. Arnot has just completed the gasfitting at the “Great Battle Picture of Bannockburn”, which we review elsewhere, and which has tended to add to Mr. Arnot’s already well-earned success. Another large contract on hand is that of Wynd Free Church, Manse Medical Mission premises, for plumbing, gasfitting, ventilation, and bell-hanging. Mr. Arnot is just now finishing the plumbing work of Messrs. Wright & Greig’s new warehouse and offices at Wellington Street.
Mr. Amot is a registered member of the Right Worshipful Company of London, being a member of Council for Glasgow and West of Scotland. He is a practical tradesman, taking a keen personal interest in all work entrusted to him. Mr. Amot enjoys the confidence and respect of a large circle of customers in and around the city.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)