Thomas Bishop, Ship Chandler, Ship-furnishing Ironmonger, &c., 52, Clyde Place.—
This business was established in 1833, by Thomas Bishop, in Main Street, Gorbals. In 1839 the business was removed to Clyde Place where it has been carried on since and for the last twenty years by the founder’s two sons, John and William, under the original designation.
The premises consist of a double shop in front used as a saleroom, where is stored a good stock of ship chandlery and ironmongery. The department upstairs is also used as a warehouse. To the rear of this establishment is a good substantial workshop, contiguous to the original engine shop of Randolph Elder & Co. These workshops are built of stone, and comprise smiths’ shop, tinsmiths’ shops, and copper plate works. The buildings are the property of the firm. In the various departments over thirty employees are engaged. The firm of Thomas Bishop commands a large business among shipping people. All kinds of ship-work is executed — ship chandling, ship furnishing, tinsmith and blacksmith work, flag making, along with the making of ventilators and ranges, and the firm has long maintained a high position in the trade.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)