Campbell Blair

Campbell Blair, Tea, Wine, and Spirit Merchant, 7 and 9, Howard Street.ó

    As long ago as the year 1835 the name of Campbell Blair was known in the tea, grocery, wine, and spirit trade of Glasgow. Originally he established a business at Gushet House, Main Street, from thence transferred it to Jamaica Street, and finally to the present address. The old premises in Main Street have now been demolished. The present commanding and handsome premises in Howard Street is a wholesale warehouse, where teas, wines, spirits, and groceries are sold by retail at wholesale prices. Looked at from the outside the warehouse has an imposing appearance, having a double front. It is excellently lighted, and the fittings of the interior are sound, well finished, and admirably suited for business purposes. The premises measure 35 feet by 85 feet, the whole of which large space is filled with a varied and well-selected stock of goods to suit all tastes.

    Although carried on under the name of Campbell Blair, the business belongs to Mr. James Weir, who is the sole proprietor, and who was manager for Mr. Campbell Blair for thirty-five years. The present healthy state of the business is entirely due to Mr. Weirís business capacity and energy. The specialities of the trade consist of teas, coffees, wines, spirits, groceries, and provisions, and the various commodities usually found in a well-managed, high-class grocery and wine business.

    Campbell Blairís famous mixture of teas is known far and wide in Glasgow, its surroundings, and the Highlands, where a large trade is done. The stock of wines and spirits are of the most choice and varied character, and such as are rarely offered to the public at reasonable prices. In addition to the goods mentioned, there is shown a great but choice selection of dried fruits, pickles, sauces, and other condiments.

    The trade done by this house is principally a family one, but its locale is not confined to Glasgow, as Campbell Blair does a very large country and Highland family trade, which is fostered by the care Mr. Weir exercises in the selection of his goods and the promptness and attention paid to the execution of his clientís commands. He has not only maintained the business received from Campbell Blair, but has increased his large private and country connection, and seems likely, by his industry, perseverance, and sterling business capacity, to merit and win for himself a higher position in the trade than even now he enjoys.

Back to Index of Firms (1888)