G. Boot, Blythswood Chair Factory, 26, Douglas Street.—
This important and well-known factory is exclusively confined to the manufacture of chairs, and is one of the largest of its kind in the north of Great Britain. The business was originally established about fifteen years ago by Mr. Thomas Bye, who was afterwards succeeded by the present proprietor in 1883. It has always been located in the same premises, which are known as the Blythswood Chair Factory. A large staff is engaged, and the work is carried on under the personal supervision of the proprietor.
The chairs manufactured at these works are of a very-varied character, but special attention is devoted to what are known as perforated wooden chairs, in which the house has produced many very artistic and elegant novelties. A large number of cane, Windsor, arm, rocking, folding, and office chairs are manufactured, and a very extensive assortment is always kept in stock. Not only are the goods constructed of the very best materials, but in every detail the construction and workmanship are of the very highest order.
A very large business is done in all parts of Scotland. In addition to this a very extensive business is done in shipping goods abroad, more especially to the colonies. The house has won a reputation unsurpassed by any similar establishment in the trade, and occupies a very prominent position in this important branch of industry.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)