William Brock & Son
William Brock & Son, Grain Merchants, Corn Exchange Place, 17, Waterloo Street.ó
This old and notable house was founded in High Street upwards of seventy years ago by Messrs. Gardner & Brock, who were also, for a number of years, proprietors of the well-known Anderston Grain Mills. About half a century ago Mr. Gardner retired from the firm, and the business was then carried on by Mr. Brock until his retirement in 1855. The control of the concern then became vested in his sons, Messrs. William and Andrew Brock, who assumed as partner, about three years ago, Mr. George Wishart, and the present style of the house is, as specified above, William Brock & Son.
From High Street the firm subsequently removed to Howard Street, Hope Street, and Alston Street, and have now for the past ten years occupied their present eligible premises in Com Exchange Place, comprising large and commodious stores with counting-house and private offices in connection. The business transactions engaged in are those of grain, meal, and flour merchants, all these branches being very extensively represented in the operations of the firm.
Its name is well known and highly reputed throughout the country, and its direct business connections extend all over Scotland. The administration of the firmís affairs is in thoroughly capable and vigorous hands, and in the energetic and experienced personnel of the present proprietary there consists a strong assurance that the eminent position and favourable reputation of the house will be fully and consistently maintained.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)