R. Brodie, Chemist and Druggist, 253, Crown Street.ó
Among the oldest establishments in Glasgow is that belonging to Mr. R. Brodie, who has acquired a widespread reputation as a chemist. The business was founded as far back as 1835 by the late Dr. Alexander Morton, and on his death in 1877 was taken over by the present proprietor, to whom the doctor had bequeathed the goodwill of the business. Mr. Brodie, who is an Associate of the Pharmaceutical Society, was in Dr. Mortonís service from 1854 to the date on which he acquired sole proprietorship of the business, which ranks among the most prominent in the trade.
The premises occupied are widely known as the Medical Hall, and have a very attractive and elegant appearance. The principal saloon consists of a very spacious double shop that is most commodiously arranged in every detail. Throughout the whole of the establishment no pains or expense have been spared to adapt the premises to the purposes of a high-class trade. The stock is extensive and valuable, and includes all the drugs and chemicals incidental to this description of business. A considerable amount of business is done in all kinds of proprietary and patent medicines, of which Mr. Brodie keeps a very large stock.
Perfumery also forms a very important feature in the trade, and a very choice assortment of the best goods is kept in stock. The firm also supply various kinds of fancy soaps and fancy goods generally. A very large business is done, and the connection is of long standing, many of the customers having patronised the establishment for a great number of years. This speaks very highly for the management and the manner in which the business has been conducted. By enterprise and ability it has been placed in the foremost ranks of the trade, and is now one of the most thriving and successful in the district.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)