Campbell & Co.
Campbell & Co., Chemical manufacturers, Cartvale Works, Paisley, and 25a, St. Vincent Place.—
An important concern engaging in the great chemical industries for which the Glasgow district and vicinity are so widely famous, is the well-known house of Messrs. Campbell & Co., who own the Cartvale Chemical Works at Paisley, and have also offices at 25a, St. Vincent Place, Glasgow. This representative firm was founded at Cartvale Works in 1870, and commenced in that year a system of industrial operations that has since then continuously increased in magnitude and developed in resource until to-day it holds a high position among similar undertakings in the district.
The firm are manufacturers of chemicals by the destructive distillation of wood, and their works at Paisley are very extensive and devoted to the productive processes exemplified. The mechanical equipment of this establishment is of the newest and most effective type, and includes among other apparatus and appliances of note and value, three large retorts, upon the patent of Robert Haldane (a relative of one of the partners in this firm), specially designed for the economical and advantageous distillation of shavings and waste wood. The principal products of the works are red and iron liquors for dyers and printers, acetate of lime, naphtha, charcoal, &c., and in these the annual output is very large and of excellent quality.
The trade controlled is large, and principally of a home character, but considerable quantities of chemicals are shipped to the Continent, where the productions of the firm are well and favourably known. The control of the business is now vested in two partners, Mr. Thomas Frederick Haldane and Mr. W. D. A. Bost, and to the energetic policy of administration pursued by these capable gentlemen is attributable the continuous and gratifying increase manifested of late years in the business of the house.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)