Campbell, McDonald & Co.
Campbell, McDonald & Co., Ship Carpenters, Joiners, Boat Builders, &c., 53, Crookston Street, Paisley Road.—
The firm of Campbell, McDonald & Co. was founded in the year 1868. Mr. McDonald retired in 1881. The senior partner, Mr. Andrew Campbell, then carried on the business, having subsequently taken into partnership his son, Mr. Archibald Campbell, but they still trade under the old style. They are in an extensive way of business, being ship carpenters, joiners, boat-builders, block-makers, and blacksmiths. The firm also supply masts, spars, and oars, sawn boards and dunnage wood, and do all kinds of shipsmith work. They likewise dock ships for repairs, and, finally, are saw-mill proprietors.
In each and all of these branches the firm do a good business, but their principal departments are the docking of ships, and the cleaning, repairing, and painting of the same in the graving-dock, boat-building, and block-making. They built a number of the boats for the Government for the Nile expedition, and are at present engaged upon a number of barges for the River Cart Navigation contract.
In addition to a large home trade in pulley-blocks, the firm make great quantities for exportation. The commercial reputation of the establishment is first-class, and their work is invariably turned out in the very highest style of excellence.
The firm have three different yards, and these altogether cover about 1,900 square yards. The saw-mills are at Crookston Street, adjoining Kingston Dock, and here the timber used for the various requirements of the concern is prepared.
The partners are widely known in and around Glasgow, and whilst they are popular and esteemed as employers they are universally respected in business and in private life.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)