R. & A. Campbell
R. & A. Campbell, Wool Merchants and Brokers, 40 Hydepark Street.—
This business was founded by Mr. Robert Campbell nearly forty years ago, namely in the year 1849. In 1853 he was joined by Mr. Alexander Campbell, whereupon the style of the house became R. & A. Campbell. Mr. Robert Campbell died in 1870, and since that period Mr. Alexander Campbell has carried on the business alone, but the style of the house has remained unaltered.
The trade transactions of the firm are very extensive, and the connection is of a widespread character, and of a most influential and substantial description. The premises in Hydepark Street are very spacious, and comprise public and private office, sample-rooms, and stores. The latter consist of three sheds, admirably arranged, which were formerly the Lancefield Spinning Company's weaving sheds. The stocks of wool held by Messrs. R. & A. Campbell are very heavy and are of great value. The commercial status of this firm is second to none in the kingdom, and their business is conducted on the strictest lines of honour and probity.
Of Mr. Alexander Campbell we can only say that — whether in business or in private life — he is esteemed by all who have the privilege of his acquaintance.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)