David Carlaw, General Engineer, Printers’ and Stationers' Machinist, 56 and 58, Rope Work Lane, off Great Clyde Street.—
It is a great pleasure to make prominent mention of one who, as an inventor and skilled mechanic, has made his name famous. We refer to Mr. David Carlaw, general engineer, printers’ and stationers’ machinist, who established his business in the above location more than a quarter of a century ago. In 1873 he removed to his present extensive premises.
This establishment comprises a counting-house, drawing-office, and workshops. On the ground floor, where the large double-cylinder engine is placed which drives the machinery, there are planing, slotting, and shaping machines, lathes and verticals. In the grinding shop are four large grinding stones and buffs, which, are used for sharpening guillotine knives and polishing. The first flat above is termed the erecting shop, and contains wheel-cutting machines, lathes, and other tools. The second flat is confined to steam gauge making and the construction of mechanical models for clients. The pattern-makers’ shop is situated on the upper floor, which is also used as a store for patterns, steam gauges, engine counters, and other curious instruments and machines in connection with general engineering.
The machines in connection with the printing trade made by Mr. Carlaw, some of which are the products of his own inventive genius, and many having important improvements, comprise paging machines, perforating, envelope-folding, embossing, lever cutting, self-feeding, eyeletting, treadle punching and cutting machines. Mr. Carlaw’s skill as a model maker is thoroughly exemplified in the triple expansion model engine, the making of which was entrusted to him by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Limited, and which gained the gold medal at the Edinburgh Exhibition. At this exhibition the “Leader” envelope-making machine, which was made by Mr. Carlaw, attracted great attention from the complicity of its working parts and the perfect manner in which the paper is folded, gummed and placed in racks, then counted into parcels of twenty-five, each envelope then being ready for use.
The Bailie, in one of its recent issues, observes, “Mr. Carlaw goes in for all kinds of engineering specialities. He is the guide, philosopher, and friend of patentees, inventors, and all who have original ideas to lick into practical shape”. In private life Mr. Carlaw has many friends, and is well known as being an authority in poultry and flowers, and his knowledge of philosophical instruments of all kinds brings him in contact with the leading scientists of the day.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)