Caulfield & Co.
Messrs. Caulfield & Co., Importers and Merchants, the Crystal Palace, 21, Jamaica Street.—
A propos of the subject now before us, there is a good story told of a gruff old veteran who had come through the Peninsular campaign — Waterloo included — and not long after that eventful time was called upon to preside at a presentation banquet in honour of the colonel, who was retiring from his regiment, and who was to receive, as a token of the respect he was held in, a most magnificent jug or claret decanter of an admixture of gold, silver, and glass, all beautifully engraved in arabesque style. The old warrior whose duty it was to make the presentation, whether from being so much in action during his lifetime or not — tradition does not say — had very little of the linguist about him, and upon rising to address the colonel and make the presentation, he simply looked first at the handsome article, then at the colonel, with much emotion, and lifting it up and pushing it towards him, exclaimed: “Colonel, there’s the jug!” The latter, perceiving the situation at a glance, and wanting to improve on it, got up and replied, “Is that the jug ?” “Yes, that's the jug!” was the response by the worthy veteran, but given with a grimace that was unmistakable. A cannonade of laughter rang through the building, which told with far better effect than a long speech would have done.
It was looking at Messrs. Caulfield’s handsomely got-up circular which recalled the incident just related. In a style befitting the movements which characterise this house, they have transcribed on their circular a copy of the certificate of merit which they received from the Sanitary and Educational Exhibition, in connection with the Social Science Congress, and awarded to them by the Council of the National Association for the Promotion of Social Science. The circular is otherwise elaborately done up, with a very fine engraving of the interior of their Jamaica Street house — the Crystal Palace, as it is best known by — and scattered over it are some superb photos, done in a highly artistic manner, in chocolate, green and gold, of breakfast, tea, dinner, toilet, and dessert services. The certificate of merit was given for specimens of engraved glass for domestic use, and there is very probably no firm in Glasgow which holds a more select and beautiful stock in this way than the Messrs. Caulfield & Co.
It is thirty years since they were first established in St. Enoch Square as wholesale, retail, and export glass and china merchants, and increasing business caused them to remove in 1862. At this time they took over these well-known premises, the old Polytechnic warehouse, and occupied the whole for a number of years. The retail business being largely increased during the period between 1874 and 1885, they then sold their interest in the lease to Messrs. Walter Wilson & Co., and acquired those extensive premises at 21, Jamaica Street, known as the Crystal Palace, and next door to Messrs. Amott & Co.
They occupy two flats here extending back to about a hundred feet in length by forty feet broad as a retail department. At this same time they took over Messrs. Walter Wilson & Co.’s premises, then known as the Scottish Wholesale Stores, ranging from No. 4 to No. 12, Broomielaw, and for their wholesale and export trade occupy five large flats here, which place is entitled by them the Staffordshire China Hall. These two establishments are decidedly the foremost of their kind in the city, and an enormous trade is done in them, giving employment to thirty hands. They are patronised by the leading nobility and gentry throughout the country, and have very large connections and shipments to all parts of the world.
They hold most extensive stocks, a brief compendium of which might be quoted, more by way of inference of the comprehensive ramifications they have in the trade. Superb are the features furnished in their flint glass department — flower-stands, water sets, mirrors, decanters, claret jugs, caraffes, wines, tumblers, hocks, flower bowls, tubes, gas globes and shades, &c., all of the best Stourbridge make, cut, engraved, or etched ; and crest and monogram services are made to order at very moderate prices.
The ornamental department abounds in the latest productions of Dresden, Limoges, and other Continental and British manufactures, including Dresden candelabras and comports, Dresden vases and figures, Doulton faience and silicon ware, Bretby art pottery, Worcester figures, vases, &c., Doulton chenie and crocodile ware, Hungarian decorated ware, Webb’s Queen’s Burmese and peach glass, Clark’s fairy lamps, &c.
The Crystal Palace at 21, Jamaica Street, is the depot for Crown Derby, Royal Worcester, Coalport, Wedgwood, Minton’s, and Doulton ware, the latest novelties in tea, breakfast, dinner, dessert, and toilet services. Especially would we mention the Minton, Lorne, Wedgwood, &c., tea sets ; the Benares, Lily, Salisbury, cameo, and Queen Charlotte dinner services ; and the toilet services in ironstone, pearl white, and ivory. The Messrs. Caulfield & Co.’s establishment is also the depot for Glasgow for the Worcester Porcelain Company.
A special show of their goods is being made at the Glasgow International Exhibition, and it may be worth mentioning that visitors to Glasgow would do well to visit the Crystal Palace during their stay. It is pertinent to say that it is a sight of the city. A complete system characterises the conduct of the Messrs. Caulfield & Co.’s business. Strict attention is paid to it in every feature ; the packing and transmission of their goods can be thoroughly relied upon, and their promise made is partly performed. The working facilities of the firm it is needless to dilate upon, and their principles are long ago accepted and approved with a most intelligent warmth throughout a world-wide connection.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)