William Clark, Draper and Hosier, 669, Gallowgate.—
A notable firm in connection with the drapery and hosiery industries is that of Wm. Clark. This business was established at 663 in the same thoroughfare in 1868, and was quite recently removed to its present number in Gallowgate. His present premises consist of a large shop, tastefully arranged, and displaying an extensive and valuable stock of heavy goods, including flannels, linens, cottons, ladies’ dress goods, shirtings, skirts, hosiery, and general small wares. The trade, which is especially large in flannels, men’s underclothing, shirts, collars, cuffs, scarfs, &c., is rapidly growing and extends into the suburbs.
The fame which this house has now is due in a great measure to Mr. Clark’s purchasing from the first markets and selling at the lowest possible prices. Mr. Clark is noted for his upright principles, and this, doubtless, has also helped greatly to win the name and support that he enjoys.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)