Peter Craig, Furnishing Ironmonger, 29 and 31, Oswald Street.—
Among the principal houses in the branch, of trade connected with ironmongery there are few that are so widely renowned as that in the proprietorship of Mr. Peter Craig, whose business was originally established as far back as 1835, and was then carried on at 60, Jamaica Street. The trade at length increased to such an extent that the premises were no longer sufficiently extensive to meet the demands upon them, and the business was therefore removed in 1885 to the present address. The proprietor, Mr. Peter Craig, now occupies a very large warehouse, admirably arranged and fitted in every detail. Connected with the main portion of the building there are spacious cellars used for storing purposes. The whole establishment is heavily stocked with high-class goods incidental to the trade of a furnishing ironmonger.
Mr. Craig’s business is both wholesale and retail, and a very large business is done among the principal merchants in the Western Highlands. Numerous travellers represent the firm in all directions. In the Glasgow district the proprietor has a large connection in both the wholesale and retail department. The firm is particularly noted for the excellent quality of the goods it supplies. In material, design, workmanship, and general construction the goods sold by this well-known house are of a highly superior quality. Mr. Craig also executes a large amount of work in various branches of plumbing for the shipping trade. The business is very ably conducted, and occupies a prominent and leading position among the principal houses similarly engaged.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)