John Cullen, Grain Merchant, 247, Gallowgate.—
A very important and thriving business is carried on under the proprietorship of Mr. John Cullen, one of the largest merchants in the grain trade in the district of Glasgow. This firm was originally established in 1868 at the present address and by the present proprietor. The firm now occupy a very large warehouse at 247, Gallowgate. The premises are thoroughly adapted to the purposes of the trade, and are commodiously arranged in every detail. In addition to the establishment in Gallowgate the proprietor has also large stores at 35 to 39, Cubie Street, these being capable of containing an enormous amount of stock, and included with this is a spacious and well-fitted counting-house, &c., in which a very efficient staff is engaged.
Mr. Cullen is very extensively engaged in dealing in all kinds of grain and flour, and commands a very extensive trade. A very important feature consists of dealing in various descriptions of food for horses, a branch in which the firm have gained a first-class reputation. The premises are admirably fitted with a considerable amount of patent machinery that may be considered as incidental to this branch of business. This includes all manner of machines for cutting, bruising, and sifting ; and the horse food supplied is without doubt about the very best that could be adopted for horses generally.
The business done has been rapidly increasing, both in extent and importance, ever since the firm first started, and an enormous trade has been developed. Much of the success achieved may be justly ascribed to the energy and ability displayed in the management on the part of the proprietor, who is well known and widely renowned in the trade. The business, which is very ably conducted, is extensive in all directions, and the firm have a large connection not only in the immediate locality but also in the surrounding district, and occupy a very leading position in the trade.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)