Dickie & Inglis
Dickie & Inglis, Paper Merchants, Wholesale and Export Stationers, and Paper-bag Manufacturers, 58 and 60, Renfrew Street.
The firm of Dickie & Inglis was established in 1880, in Virginia Street, and was removed from thence to the present address in 1884. The partnership consists of Messrs. William Dickie and William Inglis. They are wholesale and export stationers and paper-bag manufacturers in a most extensive way ; in fact, their trade extends over almost the whole United Kingdom, as well as many of our colonies and other foreign countries, their connection being of a very superior and highly substantial character.
Their speciality is the manufacture of grocers and bakers paper bags, which are sold by them to consumers in enormous quantities. Of course they manufacture other descriptions of bags, used in various branches of business, such as drapers and seed-bags, but not in such large quantities. Their trade is done in a superior style, and orders for all parts of the country are executed with extraordinary promptitude and dispatch, and their clients are supplied upon the most reasonable terms.
The works occupy three flats, each having an area of over 2,000 square feet, and they are provided with the most superior plant, whereby the firm are enabled to turn out a great variety of designs and the very finest workmanship. Shortly after their removal to their new premises, the following notice (which we have before us) was taken of them in the Paper Record, a publication having a large circulation among the members of the paper trade : Our Glasgow correspondent writes, 'Messrs Dickie & Inglis, wholesale stationers, are finding their new premises here (consisting of three stories, with hydraulic hoist) very suitable. This rising young firm deserves to prosper. They are working into one of the finest connections in the wholesale trade, and their style of doing business is appreciated not only by their customers and employees, but, what is more difficult, by their opponents in trade and by the dealers and paper-makers who periodically call for payment of accounts. It is a pleasure to do business with firms who, whilst they can on suitable occasion display the fortiter in re, invariably maintain the suaviter in modo'
Both members of the firm are well known in Glasgow, and
whilst they have the repute of being liberal and considerate employers, they are
likewise regarded as honourable and upright tradesmen, and as such are popular
and esteemed in the city.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)