G. D. Fisher & Co.
G. D. Fisher & Co., Shawl Manufacturers, 55, Wilson Street.ó
The manufacture of shawls is a branch of industry to which the attention of many firms in Glasgow is particularly directed. Among these a prominent position is occupied by the well-known house of Messrs. G. D. Fisher & Co. The business was originally founded in 1847, at the same premises in which it is now carried on, and from the commencement a thriving and successful trade has been conducted.
The firm confine their attention to the manufacture of shawls solely. These are woven by workers in the country and finished at the firmís warehouse, where a large number of hands are employed for this special purpose. Here they are finished ready for supply to the various wholesale houses, among whom this noted firm are so popular. Employment is given to over a hundred hands throughout the different departments. Every article produced is subjected to careful scrutiny ; the result is goods of the highest order only emanate from their warehouse.
The firmís premises are situated at 55, Wilson Street, comprising spacious workrooms, &c., that are well arranged and admirably adapted to the purpose. An extensive business is done at home and in India, the Colonies, East Indies, United States, &c., an efficient staff of agents ably representing the interests of the firm.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)