James Fleming, Tea Merchant and General Grocer, 368, Cumberland Street, and 275, South Wellington Street.—
A house of celebrity in the tea and grocery trade is that of Mr. James Fleming, which was founded by him at the present address in 1877. The mart is a conspicuous comer edifice, with a spacious and well-appointed shop on the ground floor, the excellent display of stock in the windows giving it an attractive street aspect. A large and comprehensive stock of groceries and provisions are held, all warranted genuine and of superior quality.
Butters, in fresh Ayrshire, genuine Irish lump, Danish, and, in fact, every other kind, are found in stock. Cheese is imported directly from the producers, and includes the finest Gouda, Cheddar, Stilton, Dunlop, and American brands in prime cuts. The bacon and hams are principally from Ayrshire, and there are also some fine Belfast smoked hams, and others of American repute, all of which are fresh and lean, and particularly fine flavoured.
The great speciality in which the house has made a high reputation is teas, pure and blended. Fleming’s coffees, too, are always fresh and new ground, and unequalled for their fine aroma and nutritious qualities. Sugars of all kinds, and jams, jellies, pickles, sauces, preserves, and other sundries are to be found in grand display.
The leading trade features are quality, combined with personal attention to all orders left at the establishment. The trade is well established in the locality, and there is also an extensive country connection. The proprietor is a practical tradesman, and is highly respected by his customers.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)