James Fulton & Co.
James Fulton & Co., Provision Merchants, 47, Argyle Street.—
That staple section of mercantile enterprise comprised in the provision trade is conspicuously represented in the city by the old-established business conducted by Mr. James Hamilton, the sole proprietor, under the title of James Fulton & Co. This house was founded towards the close of the eighteenth century by a Mr. Fulton in the famous Bridgegate. In 1811 he was succeeded by his son, Mr. John Fulton who in 1849 was succeeded by his brother, Mr. James Fulton. This gentleman in 1860 took into partnership Mr. Hamilton, who since 1879 has been the sole partner.
The establishment has a large shop on the ground floor, the lower portion being used as stock-rooms and the upper portion of the edifice for general working purposes. The stock held consists of all kinds of provisions, the chief items being butter, cheese, and hams. The last named is a speciality, as are also boiled hams, of which several are cut up daily for retail purposes. All the provisions held are of the best and finest quality and always fresh. A very extensive local trade is done among the leading residents in the city, and a high-class country trade conducted with numerous private families in England. Mr. Hamilton is well known on the best provision markets in the country, and highly esteemed by his colleagues and patrons for his intimate business knowledge and high principles of commercial integrity.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)