John Gardner, Family and Shipping Butcher, 886, Hamilton Place, Partick.—
Mr. John Gardner is one of the most notable family and shipping butchers in Glasgow. His business has been established over forty years, and he has occupied his present premises, 386, Hamilton Place, for the long period of thirty-three years. He has a splendid local connection amongst private families of the upper class, and also executes extensive shipping orders ; and we believe he has just entered into a contract with Messrs. Thomas Jenkins & Co. for a six months' supply of flesh meat to the International Exhibition at Glasgow.
His sale shop, at the before-named address, is one of the most handsome emporiums of the kind in Scotland. Its inside area is 30 by 60 feet, out of which certain portions have been partitioned off for an office and mincing-room. The linings of the walls and the counter-tops, &c., are of solid white polished marble, which gives the place a very superior appearance, imparts a cool and refreshing sensation, and also improves the look of the stock displayed for sale. All the other appointments are in harmony with the marble fittings. All the animals slaughtered by Mr. Gardner are home reared. It is perhaps unnecessary to say that his stocks are always of the finest and primest character, but, nevertheless such is the fact, and his sales from week to week are enormous. He keeps a large working staff, and his business is conducted on first-class lines. The establishment is in telephonic communication with different parts of the city and suburbs, and the trade connections extend all over Scotland.
Mr. Gardner is a farmer and grazier on a large scale, and as a first-rate man of business, an upright tradesman, and a worthy citizen ; Mr. Gardner has no superior in Glasgow. He is also a large landed proprietor, the estate of Muirpark having been acquired for feuing purposes, and Gardner Street being called after him.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)