John D. Gauldie
John D. Gauldie, Broomhall Engine Works, West Scotland Street.—
This business ably represents a special department of engineering skill. These Engine Works were founded in 1863, by Gauldie, Marshall & Co., and were carried on under that designation until 1884, when Mr. John D. Gauldie became sole proprietor, and he has since carried on the business in his own name.
Mr. Gauldie’s works are admirably suited for the business conducted. The engine shop is lofty, and measures 100 feet by 50 feet, and is fitted with machinery all of first-class construction, comprising self-acting lathes, four planing machines, large vertical and slotting machines, shaping, milling, and other machinery, and powerful travelling crane. The whole is driven by a compound engine of the firm’s own construction. The smithy is airy, and provided with hearths, crane, and steam hammer. A loft over the engine shop is used as pattern-shop and drawing-room. A large trade is done in finishing railway switches or points, and crossings. The leading speciality of the business is the construction of compound steam, engines for land purposes, and for small steamboats and launches.
The work turned out by the establishment is of the first class, and Mr. Gauldie may justly claim the highest credit for the excellent management everywhere displayed in connection with the establishment.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)