The Glasgow Dress and Mourning Warehouse
The Glasgow Dress and Mourning Warehouse, 299, Sauchiehall Street ; Mr. McGillivray, Proprietor.—
The business directed by Mr. McGillivray is justly termed “The Glasgow dress and mourning warehouse” as it is unquestionably one of the principal establishments in Glasgow for all kinds of high-class dress and mantle making. Mr. McGillivray was for over eight years in the responsible position of buyer for the well-known firm of Messrs. Stewart & McDonald, warehousemen, of Glasgow. The business has been carried on at its present address for three years, and being established in 1882 at 407, Sauchiehall Street.
The premises occupied consist of a double shop with a saloon in rear, two large fitting-rooms, with three large workrooms above. The showroom is exquisitely fitted up and decorated, the ceilings especially being choice works of art. The stock in this department consists of silks, velvets, plushes, and wool dress materials, all of the latest novelties and the best quality. Between thirty and forty -hands are constantly employed.
Mr. McGillivray has always in stock a recherche selection of costumes, mantles, tea gowns, evening dresses, dress materials, plushes, velvets, silks, &c. The firm is noted for its bridal, bridesmaids’, and travelling dresses, and all costumes and mantles are made and fitted under Mrs. McGillivray’s personal superintendence.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)