John Glover & Sons
John Glover & Sons, Brassfounders, 16, Muslin Street, Bridgeton.—
To make a successful casting in brass is a more delicate process than ordinary metal casting. The mixing or smelting of the alloys —copper and zinc and tin—itself is a process requiring great care and skill. To be a successful brassfounder in all its branches means the acquirement of more than ordinary trade intelligence. The workmanship turned out by the Messrs. Glover & Sons shows to fine advantage in this trade, and which is amply verified in their far-reaching reputation.
The firm was established by a Mr. Thomas Wright in 1830, in the premises still retained, and acquired by the present owners now under notice in 1861. The partners are Mr. John Glover senior and Mr. John Glover junior. The foundry is composed of a large shed, measuring 100 feet by 45 feet, with an adjoining building to the front, 90 feet by 35 feet, which is utilised as offices and showrooms. These showrooms are elaborately stocked with all manner of brass and bronze goods, brass fittings, gasaliers, &c.
The firm have a very large trade in these branches, but their first and staple business is brassfounding. They are one of the few makers of an iron and brass alloy which is much used for pinnion and pulley wheels, being malleable and able to be bent, twisted, or hammered out without breaking, suitable for brass bolt and other purposes where strain is required.
One of their special productions is the Excelsior light feed and gauge glass lubricator (Granroth’s patent). To all users of steam motive power this valuable invention is specially recommended as the simplest, most compact, efficient, and cheapest in the market. It is the only gauge lubricator in which the oil passes down the centre of cup to steampipe or valve casing. It gives out a regular supply of oil, and can be regulated to supply one drop in one or a few minutes, more or less as may be required, thereby effecting a great saving in oil as well as wear and tear of engine by constant lubrication, and securing an increase of power, as the friction diminishes. Being constructed on scientific principles, it entirely dispenses with all outward objectionable pipes or fittings ; and one trial, which the patentee respectfully solicits, will at once prove its vast superiority over all others hitherto introduced into the market.
The Messrs. Glover & Sons employ thirty workmen and apprentices ; they undertake contracts for all kinds of operative and stationary brasswork, shaft-bearings, &c., and every description of engine and machine brass fittings and fixtures ; and the material, finish, and general thoroughness of their productions are widely known, and have secured them a first-class patronage.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)