Mr. James Hamilton (Messrs. Robert Hamilton & Son), Smith’s Court Calender ; offices, 19, Wilson Street.—
The extensive business carried on by Mr. James Hamilton, the sole partner of the ancient firm of Messrs. Robert Hamilton & Son, has long occupied a prominent position amongst the great industrial establishments of the city. The business dates back to the latter part of the last century, and has been continuously carried on in the present premises. These comprise an immense edifice containing five floors, replete with all the most improved machinery and appliances, and employing a large number of hands.
The business comprises the mangling and packing of goods for all parts of the world, and has extensive engagements with the leading manufacturing houses in Glasgow and district for the lapping of fabrics, principally Hessians, shirtings, and muslins, and do a very extensive export trade in these, chiefly with the East Indies.
A spacious suite of well-appointed offices and counting-house are situated at No. 19, Wilson Street, where a large and efficient staff of clerks and assistants is employed. The business connections of the firm are of a widespread and influential character, and are firmly based upon an eminent reputation.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)