Wm. Henderson & Sons
Messrs. Wm. Henderson & Sons, Wholesale Fish merchants and Curers, 31, Rose Street.—
One of the oldest established houses , in the city in its line is that of Messrs. William Henderson & Sons, which was founded by the senior partner, Mr. William Henderson, in St. Mungo Street, in 1850. In 1874 they removed to Surrey Street, and finding business increasing, removed to the present premises, which were specially built by the firm for the trade, in 1886. At the same time Mr. Henderson sen. received his two sons into partnership, and the present title of the firm was duly assumed in the conduct of the business.
The premises cover a large area of ground, and consist of a counting-house, spacious curing-house, and stables. A large and comprehensive stock of fish is at all times kept on hand, both cured and fresh, the quality of which can be guaranteed the finest and best placed on the market. The leading speciality, in which they have made a great reputation, is in the curing of fish of all kinds, the facilities at their disposal for performing the process with rapidity and success being exceptional. They were awarded a medal for kippered herrings at the Fisheries Exhibition held at Edinburgh in 1882. Hendersons’ fish are renowned all over the United Kingdom for their surpassing excellence and uniform good quality.
The business is well organised, a full average staff of experienced hands being permanently employed, and the operations of the house conducted with tact, push, and energy. The trade is particularly well established and extends all over the three kingdoms, though the greater portion is of a local character. The firm members are gentlemen of the highest status in the trade, and practically conversant with all the details of the business.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)