T. W. Hislop
T. W. Hislop, Hardware, Smallware, and Fancy Goods Importer, 37 and 39, Main Street, Gorbals.—
In connection with the hardware industries a thoroughly representative and well-known firm, of which prominent mention must be made, is that of T. W. Hislop. The business was established by Mr. Crosbie about half a century ago in premises which were taken down about thirteen or fourteen years ago by the City Improvement Trusts. During the time the new building was being erected business was carried on at No. 13 in the same street, and on their completion a move was made back to the old place, No. 37, Main Street. The business was acquired by the present proprietor twelve years ago.
The shop was originally very small, but has been increased to about twenty times its former dimensions. A large double shop with saloon in the rear, the premises form a handsome fancy bazaar, displaying an immense and valuable stock of hardware, smallware, and fancy goods, of which the firm are extensive importers. These include brushes, American and continental goods, every description of bright tin and japanned goods, hardware and cutlery, besides paraffin lamps, of which the firm are manufacturers.
Mr. Hislop possesses many trade advantages, and his personal capacity and upright principles enable him to maintain the old connection, which extends all over the city and into the country, and is gradually extending his influence as a wholesale and retail merchant.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)