Houston & McNairn
Houston & McNairn, American Produce and Commission Merchants, 48, Ingram Street.—
This house was originally established about forty years ago in Madeira Court by Messrs. David Brown and Campbell Houston. They removed to Miller Street in 1861. The firm was reconstituted in 1867, Mr. Brown having died and Mr. Campbell Houston retiring in favour of his brother Charles, who assumed as partner Mr. John McNairn, under the present title of Houston and McNairn. In 1874 they removed their business to 48, Ingram Street, where they had completed the erection of handsome and commodious premises suitable for their special business.
The firm are receivers of heavy consignments of American and Canadian cheese, butter, hog products, and canned goods, in which, as well as in a general line, they do an exceedingly fine trade. They are receivers also of extensive consignments of Continental produce.
The premises consist of five flats of a large tenement, having immense storage, capacity, and employment is afforded to a large and efficient staff of hands. The present partners are Messrs. Charles and Archibald Houston, who are energetic, clear-headed business men, and are held in the highest esteem in city trade circles. The firm have also offices in Liverpool at Temple Street, and in Birmingham at Carr’s Lane.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)