A. G. Hunter & Co.
A. G. Hunter & Co., Gentlemen’s Hatters, 32, Buchanan Street, corner of Argyle Arcade.—
The old-established and eminent firm of Messrs. A. G. Hunter & Co. stands among the foremost in the Scottish commercial metropolis devoted to the supplying of first-class gentlemen’s hats. This notable house was founded as far back as 1828, under the above title, and has always been centred at its present eligible and convenient address. The premises here occupied are spacious, commodious, and most handsomely appointed throughout, and comprise, in addition to a fine ground-floor sale-room and shop, a large and well-equipped showroom on the floor above.
This firm deals only in the best of medium and high-class goods, and in relation to the branch of trade they so creditably represent, their name ranks among the most prominent in Glasgow. The stock held is one of great magnitude, value, and variety, and always embraces the latest and most fashionable London novelties in gentlemen’s silk, felt, and tweed hats and caps of the best make and most correct style ; boys’ dress and felt hats, boys’ Balmoral, Glengarry, and Tam O’Shan ter bonnets ; ladies’ riding hats, livery hats, laces and cockades; and a fine assortment of superior goods in umbrellas, walking-sticks, and leather hat-cases.
The house is noted for the care exercised by its proprietary and attendants in ensuring perfect fit and satisfaction to every purchaser. The firm hold the royal warrant of appointment to her Majesty the Queen, the Prince of Wales, and the Royal Family, and they also held an appointment to H.R.H. the late Prince Consort. A very large trade is controlled, supported by the most distinguished circles of patronage ; and the house has many customers throughout the world — in Egypt, France, Spain, America, and even in London itself.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)