John Laird & Co.
John Laird & Co., Wholesale Provisions, 51 to 55, Ingram Street.—
The provision trade is one of the most important in the City of Glasgow, and both as regards its commercial magnitude and industrial value is worthy of careful review in this historical record. Among the most active and enterprising wholesale houses dealing, in provisions is that conducted as John Laird & Co. This business was established about fifty years ago, under the present title, in Argyle Street, was subsequently removed to Hutchison Street, and the quarters occupied now were secured in 1885. The business is in the hands of Messrs. Daidson, Sclauders, and Campbell, the original firm style being still retained.
The premises occupied consist of two flats of tenements at the address indicated, which are admirably appointed and equipped for the advantageous prosecution of the business. The firm have business connections all over Scotland and the North of England, their patronage being large and constantly increasing, the best proof of the uniform good quality of all goods emanating from this establishment. A speciality of this firm is their noted Scotch boiled and raw beef hams, in which a very large business is transacted.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)