Lang & Co.
Lang & Co., Manufacturers of Plain and Fancy Muslins, &c., 146 and 150, Ingram Street.—
This old and well-known business was established over thirty years ago by Messrs. Lang & Cousin in the present premises. On Mr. Cousin’s retirement, in 1877, the style of the. firm became Lang & Co., and since then Mr. Lang has assumed his two sons as partners.
The business includes the manufacture of plain and fancy Muslins, summer and evening dress fabrics, art curtains in “Crete”, “Madras”, “Lace”, “Oriental”, “Mandalay”, &c. ; the new Oriental bed sets, table-covers, antimacassars, and specialities in Curtain Materials, printed Indian muslins, &c. All these articles are manufactured in a style of excellence unsurpassed by any other house in this line of business.
At the Edinburgh Industrial Exhibition in 1886 they were awarded the Gold Medal Diploma for “high art in Oriental and Madras curtains”. In the manufacture of the finer and more artistic fabrics (which are beyond the reach of the power-loom), Messrs. Lang & Co. employ a large number of hand-loom weavers in Upper Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, and the North of Ireland.
Their business connections embrace, besides the United Kingdom and the principal capitals of Europe, America, Australia, the West Indies, &c. The firm has a branch establishment in London, at 16, Watling Street, E.C., under the management of the junior partner, Mr. Thos. K. Lang.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)