J. Lizars, Optician, 16, Glassford Street and 260, Sanchiehall Street.—
The manufacture of optical instruments in Glasgow is most thoroughly represented in the firm of J. Lizars, which was established in Glassford Street in 1835. His premises here consist of a handsome shop and workroom, in which a number of hands are employed making and repairing optical instruments of every description. His warehouse here and his establishment at Sauchiehall Street are most tastefully fitted to suit his trade. These include magic lanterns, his famous opera and marine glasses, microscopes and their attachments, his renowned spectacles, &c. Mr. Lizars is the only manufacturer of microscopes in Scotland, and for this speciality has gained a widespread reputation.
His trade extends all over Scotland, and he enjoys the patronage of the most eminent scientific gentlemen. This is evinced from the many high testimonials he has received, copies of which may be seen in his beautifully illustrated catalogues. The thorough knowledge of the science of optics possessed by Mr. Lizars is perhaps the principal secret of his fame, but doubtless a great factor in winning for him the position he holds in the trade is the high principles of integrity which have guided him throughout his business career.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)