Lockharts & Watson
Lockharts & Watson, Clothiers and Tailors, 71, St. Vincent Street.ó
There is always a deep interest attaching to old-established institutions, whether they be of a national, civic, or mercantile character, and in reviewing historically the various trades and industries of the city of Glasgow it is very interesting to meet with a firm of such old standing and eminent reputation as the well-known house of Messrs. Lockharts & Watson. This firm is one of the oldest houses in this line of business in the city. The house was originally founded by Mr. John Lockhart nearly a hundred years ago, and afterwards known as John Lockhart & Sons, and for the last forty years the business has been carried on under the present title. After the death, at the patriarchal age of ninety-six years, of the highly esteemed gentleman who founded the business, Mr. Henry Watson succeeded to the whole of the business, and carried it on successfully until the present year, when he also died.
The business was then acquired by the present proprietors, Messrs. Singer and Spittall, of 7, Royal Exchange Square, also one of the oldest and most respected firms in the city. It is carried on by them under the old title as a West End branch. The name and reputation of this firm is a guarantee that the old traditions of this historical trade will be fully maintained, and the business kept fully abreast of the times.
The premises are very extensive and commodious, consisting of a large and attractive shop and showrooms, together with spacious and well-furnished workshops employing a large number of efficient workmen in the several departments. The stock of goods is very large and comprehensive, including every article of gentlemenís clothing, and an extensive assortment of cloth, tweeds, cheviots, homespuns, &c., of the very best quality and the newest patterns.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)