The London and Paris Mantle Company
The London and Paris Mantle Company, 163, Sauchiehall Street.—
There are few businesses which contribute so largely to the general attractiveness of the thoroughfares of a great city as those of the modiste, the milliner or the costumier ; and one of the most notable establishments in this respect in Glasgow is that controlled by the London and Paris Mantle Company, a concern operating under the proprietary management and direction of Mr. John F. Watson.
This important house was founded in 1878 at its present address, at the corner of Sauchiehall and Wellington Streets. The premises here occupied are very extensive and commodious ; the frontage on the two thoroughfares named is excellent, affording splendid facilities for window display ; and the interior is subdivided into five saloons, two fitting-rooms, and the workrooms for the operative staff. The fittings and decorations of the establishment are elegant to a degree. The whole idea is a reproduction of the interior appointment of a large Parisian house which attracted Mr. Watson’s attention on one of his periodical visits to the “gay city.”
The trade of this firm embraces dealings in mantles, costumes, marriage trousseaux, family and complimentary mourning, jackets, shawls, skirts, and other goods of a kindred nature ; and an important department for superior furs has received very successful development. In mantles and costumes lies the specialite of the house, and these are all produced in the very highest classes of materials, the designs being exact copies from the latest Paris fashions. All designs are personally selected by Mr. Watson, who makes frequent journeys to Paris, and also visits London every month. The maintenance of a high reputation is an object of prime consequence, and its attainment is secured by the employment of the best and most skilful modistes and fitters whose services can only be retained by the payment of large salaries. The workrooms in connection with the establishment are very extensive, lofty, well-ventilated, and admirably lighted through the medium of a glass roof.
The staff of needlewomen employed numbers a hundred and ten, but the workrooms would easily accommodate more than double that number. In the showrooms and saloons the display of mantles, costumes, &c., is attractive in the highest degree. The four rearward saloons have been added since the establishment of the firm, and the whole place has of necessity been entirely remodelled under Mr. Watson’s direction. This gentleman’s able efforts have made the house one of the first of its kind in Glasgow. A very large and influentially connected trade is controlled, and the company enjoys the support and patronage of some of the most distinguished circles of Scottish custom.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)