J. Winton Mackie
J. Winton Mackie, Marble Cutter, 128, West Regent Street.—
This noted business was established several years ago under the style of Mackie & Millar, but since 1885 it has been conducted by Mr. J Winton Mackie, who is the sole principal. This gentleman, under the somewhat modest title, marble cutter, is, in reality, an artist of a very high order, having a splendid reputation in his profession, and enjoying an almost unlimited practice. He undertakes every description of artistic marble, mosaic, and tile work, and furnishes special designs, where desired, for this class of work, together with estimates. Mr. Mackie having had an experience extending over thirty years in London and other parts of England, Glasgow, and the West of Scotland, has acquired great practical knowledge of the business in which he is engaged.
His premises in West Regent Street embrace an office and a very handsome showroom, which occupies an area of some three hundred square yards. The showroom contains a most extensive display of marble and enamelled slate chimney pieces, also a large assortment of tiles, from the simplest bath tile to the most elaborate hall tile, mosaic work of all descriptions, and he also keeps art painted tiles for cabinet work and flower-boxes. Mr. Mackie is possessed of very valuable testimonials from leading architects as to his abilities and qualifications ; but there can be no doubt that the best testimonials he can produce are the articles on view in his showroom, which we should advise our readers to inspect for themselves.
A speciality of the business, besides the laying of mosaic and encaustic tile floors, hearths, fireplaces, &c., is the fitting up and decorating of dairies, fish and butchers’ shops, many specimens of which are to be seen in Glasgow and throughout the country, and it is not too much to say that they are unsurpassed for arrangement and beauty of design and thereby combining utility with artistic effect, and for which he is largely patronised. The works and stores are at 228 and 230, West George Street, where every description of marble masonry is executed, and where he employs a large staff of workmen. All the marble used is imported direct from the quarries at Carrara, Italy, Belgium, &c. Some of the rarest marbles are kept in stock.
Amongst the more important works executed by Mr. Mackie may be mentioned the marble, tile, and mosaic work in the new Municipal Buildings, Greenock ; the Townhead Public School, Glasgow ; Hillhead Public School ; and also other large schools in the city. Mr. Mackie is also president of the Glasgow Arbroath Association, having originally come from Arbroath. He is also a leading member of the Bath Street U.P. Church, in the affairs of which he takes a lively interest.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)