T. Macnee & Co.

T. Macnee & Co., Manufacturers of Waterproof Tweeds and Linings, Skirtings, Tweeds, Coat-linings, and Fancy Dresses, 62 and 64, Miller Street:

    It is particularly interesting in reviewing historically the trades, manufactures, and industries of this city to meet with a firm of such old standing and extensive connections as that of Messrs. T. Macnee & Co., and to accord to it that special prominence in these reviews which its influential position in the trade so justly demands. The business was established in the year 1864, originally in John Street, when, owing to its rapid development and the necessity for increased accommodation, the present extensive and commodious premises were acquired about ten years ago. These afford superior advantages and increased facilities, being fitted with all the best and most improved machinery and appliances that skill, experience, and mechanical science have devised. The business was originally carried on under the title of Robin Macnee & Co., up to 1869, when Mr. Thomas Macnee became the sole proprietor.

    Messrs. T. Macnee & Co. rank with the largest and most influential industrial establishments in this city, being extensively engaged in the manufacture of shirtings, tweeds, coat-linings, fancy dresses, and waterproof goods, these latter being a leading speciality. Some idea of the magnitude of their operations may be gathered from the fact that several hundred workpeople are constantly employed in the manufactory, and they  employ also a large staff of hand-loom weavers in Co. Down, Ireland. Messrs. Macnee & Co. have a splendid connection for the sale of these goods, extending to all parts of the United Kingdom and the Continent, which is well founded upon the eminent reputation they have so long enjoyed.

    Mr. T. Macnee, who is the sole proprietor, is a gentleman occupying an influential position in business circles, and is well known and highly esteemed for his earnest endeavours to promote the best interests of the industry and commerce of the city of Glasgow.

Back to Index of Firms (1888)