John Maitland, Bridge Street Station Hotel.—
Among the many first-class Glasgovian hotels, the Bridge Street Station Hotel is not by any means the least important. It has been in existence for nearly seventy years. About forty years ago it was in the hands of a Mr. Menzies, and for the last twelve years it has been in the hands of the present proprietor, Mr. John Maitland. The premises, which are situate in a four-storey building overlooking Glasgow Bridge, on the west of Bridge Street, and adjoining the Bridge Street Station of the Caledonian Railway Company, are all on the three upper floors of the building (then chief public entrance being by 6, Bridge Street), and they comprise a very large dining-room with a public restaurant adjoining, commercial-room, smoking and billiard-room (very well lighted), four private rooms, and between twenty and thirty bedrooms ; also splendid separate bath-rooms (with hot and cold water). The whole hotel is finished throughout in superior modem style, and the purveying is of the highest class.
Mr. Maitland is especially famous for his style of serving supper and marriage parties, but the hotel is well patronised in all its departments and employs from fifteen to twenty assistants. Mr. Maitland enjoys the patronage of guests from all parts of the world ; and nearly all the theatrical celebrities who perform from time to time at the Princess Theatre (south side), reside with him during their stay in Glasgow. Miss Minnie Palmer was so highly pleased with the comforts afforded by the hotel, that she not only remained there during the professional visit, but returned and spent her holidays, making the Bridge Street Hotel her headquarters.
Mr. Maitland is a man of enterprise — he is also proprietor of the Ardlui Hotel, at the head of Loch Lomond, one of the favourite resorts of summer tourists ; and in the spring of 1887 he acquired the “Royal” Hotel at Innellan, which is fast becoming a favourite with tourists and travellers who may pass that way or sojourn there.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)