John McGready, Publisher, 80, Great Clyde Street.—
In connection with the publishing trade of the city, a firm of considerable prominence is that of John McGready. Established in College Street in 1867, Mr. McGready removed a few years after to John Street, trading there as McGready, Thomson & Nevin, home, foreign, and Australian colonies’ publishers, five years later he removed to Brunswick Street and entered on his present convenient premises in 1887 under the present title.
His establishment consists of office, stock-room and warehouse, the latter being, handsomely fitted to display specimens of books, fine art and artistic printing, household publications, &c., in the getting up of which Mr. McGready has won a reputation which extends all over the whole of Great Britain. In fact this firm’s productions are known all over the civilised world. A great speciality is the publication of religious and historical works, the firm claiming the issue of the first complete history of the Australian colonies. The artistic works of the firm have been very highly spoken of in the public press, and are really of great merit. The latest production is a complete and revised edition of “Howie’s second edition of 1781 of The Scots Worthies”, edited by Rev. Andrew A. Bonar, D.D., Glasgow. The success which has attended Mr. McGready’s efforts is due to his high artistic taste and energy, and perseverance, combined with his strict principles of integrity.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)