C. McKenzie & Son
C. McKenzie & Son, Bakers & Confectioners, 45, Argyle Street.—
The business now carried on by Messrs. C. McKenzie & Son is the oldest in Glasgow in the bakery line, and was established nearly a century ago, namely in 1796. For many years it was conducted by a Mr. Steel (a deacon of the bakers’ trade, who died some ten years since), but it has been in the hands of Messrs. C. McKenzie & Son since 1860.
The business embraces both bakery and confectionery, and there is an excellent trade done in both branches ; but the speciality of the concern is the manufacture of water biscuits, which are sent in great quantities to all parts of the United Kingdom. As a memento of this particular article of manufacture, it may be stated that in the sale-shop is a barrel, out of which these noted biscuits have been sold for more than fifty years.
The premises in Argyle Street are neat and compact, the trade is remarkably regular, and the connection highly respectable and substantial. Everything sold at the establishment is first class, and the concern is managed with strict care and attention. Messrs. C. McKenzie & Son are among the best known tradesmen in Glasgow in their own line of business, and are highly respected by the community at large.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)