Robert Miller, Artists’ Colourman, Stationer, and librarian, 186, Trongate.—
In the higher branches of the stationery trade there are some first-class mediums in Glasgow. There is probably not one in this city to whom more credit may be ascribed in this way than Mr. Robert Miller, whose business premises are situated at 186, Trongate. Mr. Miller was first established in 1834 at 215, Gallowgate, then in 1844 he removed to 57, Gallowgate, and then twenty-four years ago removed to these Trongate premises. The place is well and widely known throughout city and country, and consists of a large shop to the front, well appointed in every way.
The mercantile part of the stock comprises a variety of day books, journals, ledgers, cash books, letter books, and general stationery, and a great assortment of card and pasteboards, drawing and tracing papers and tracing cloths, &c., &c. He operates in engraving, lithographing, letterpress printing, and bookbinding, and is one of the foremost in the supply of engineers, shipbuilders, and architects with all their requisite drawing and tracing materials. As an artists’ colourman he has also an old reputation, and makes a speciality of this part of the business. Oil and water-colours and crayons, drawing easels and instruments, drawing paper mounted on cloth for plans, &c., are also stocked. The business has all along been characterized for its ingenious adaptation to modern requirements and improvements, and Mr. Miller has the credit of making and sustaining an extensive and substantial connection in both town and country.
There is another phase of Mr. Miller’s trade, however, which cannot be allowed to pass unnoticed, his business of librarian. “Miller’s Library” is a stock phrase amongst the reading public of the city and for miles around it, and few there are who have not felt its beneficial influence at some time or other. It is the largest private circulating library in Glasgow, contains upwards of forty thousand volumes, and at least two thousand readers. The library forms a large department in the back premises, having a separate entrance from No. 182, Trongate, and was inaugurated at the time Mr. Miller began business in 1834. The books are lent out by the year, half-year, quarter, month, week, or day, the terms being very moderate, and largely taken advantage of. There is a printed catalogue and form of the rules and regulations of the library always kept for perusal, and the concern is most effectively conducted. Considering the unpretentious appearance of the business, it is the best of its kind in the city.
The educational impetus which the enterprise and energy of Mr. Miller have given to the mercantile, mechanical, artistical, and reading portions of our industrial centres is very potent, and we may be justified in saying that were the results of his fifty-four years labour summed up in detail they would add to the honour due to a long life usefully spent.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)