C. & W. Paterson & Co.
C. & W. Paterson & Co., Calico Printers, Dalmuir, and 178, Buchanan Street.—
This firm was established in 1886. Their offices in Glasgow comprise a fine suite of rooms at 178, Buchanan Street ; their Manchester branch is at 28, Faulkner Street ; and their works are in close proximity to the River Clyde at Dalmuir, about eight miles west of Glasgow, and on the site of the old paper mills once occupied by Messrs. Edward Collins & Sons, now of Kelvindale, near Maryhill.
The site is a particularly favourable one for a printwork, having an abundant supply of excellent water, which is of the greatest importance to a printwork. Being close to the River Clyde, Messrs. C. & W. Paterson & Co. have the further advantage of putting their dirty water direct through a drain of their own into the River Clyde, and thus saving the trouble and expense of filtering it, which many other similar works have to do. The partners of the firm are Mr. Charles A. Paterson and Mr. Walter Paterson, the father of whom was a very prominent merchant in Glasgow.
The Messrs. Paterson & Co. employ over a hundred workers at Dalmuir Works, and do a large trade in calico printing, designing, &c. Their works at Dalmuir are fitted up with all the most modem machinery applicable to this trade as it is now carried on, the improvements brought to bear on it within this last quarter of a century being of a sweeping nature. This firm certainly produce some of the very best work in all branches of their trade. Their business is well organized, and calculated to keep good pace with its compeers ; and, as far as may be modestly judged, has a very promising future before it.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)