John Paterson & Co.
John Paterson & Co., Plumbers, &c., 40, Candleriggs Street.—
This is a very thriving business that has been in existence nearly thirty years, and has gained a first-class reputation throughout the whole of the locality of Glasgow. It was originally established in Brunswick Lane, whence it was removed, in 1877, to the present address, the firm requiring more commodious premises. The proprietor, Mr. William E. H. Wood, trades under the title of John Paterson & Co., a name well known in the plumbing trade for miles around.
The firm occupy spacious workshops and warehouses, where they keep a very large supply of material, &c., incidental to their trade. A very important feature of the business consists of plumbing and the work usually undertaken by sanitary engineers. In this branch the proprietor has achieved very great success. Another very important branch of the business consists of the work done in gas-fitting.
In the plumbing department it need only be pointed out that the firm have executed a large amount of important work for many of the leading authorities, Messrs. Paterson & Co. having fitted up several of the largest schools with the necessary appliances, and are now completing the laboratory connected with the Grove Street School, which is considered one of the finest buildings of its kind in the west of Scotland. They have also fitted up the city hall, the police offices (central) and many other important and extensive buildings.
A very efficient staff is engaged in the various departments, which also includes zinc-working, &c. The hands have been selected from among the most skilled and experienced artisans, and all work is carried out under the most careful supervision. The business is very ably conducted, and ranks among the most important in the trade.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)