P. & G. Purdie
P. & G. Purdie, Family Boot and Shoemakers, 198, Argyle Street ; works, 22,
Pitt Street, Glasgow ; branch, 37, Hamilton Street, Greenock.—
This is a firm, the members of which have identified themselves with the old and sterling stock of Glasgow’s merchants and manufacturers. Established in 1854 in that portion of Gallowgate now occupied by the station of the North British Railway Company’s line, from St. Enoch’s to Springburn, the Messrs. Purdie, by the intelligent grasp they had of their handicraft, and their unflinching perseverance, soon laid the foundation of a trade, which their present position and fame show cannot be much affected by commercial ebb and flow. They removed from Gallowgate in 1864 to the premises they still occupy at 198, Argyle Street, a very large double shop, with two great plate-glass windows, which show to fine advantage in this busy thoroughfare, with their beautiful assortment of high-class boots and shoes, and which always attract and impress an intelligent public.
This shop is most elegantly fitted up, with abundant accommodation for measuring and fitting on. There is a fine saloon in the rear ; always well furnished with a select stock, from which the most fastidious tastes can be fully suited, and customers are always welcomed, and waited upon by a thoroughly efficient staff of assistants.
The Messrs. Purdie’s works, well known as the Blythswood shoe factory, are situated at 22, Pitt Street, and consist of five flats, where the most modern type of machinery, driven by steam-power, keeps from sixty to seventy workmen employed. They have also a branch shop at 37, Hamilton Street, Greenock, established some twenty-five years ago. Altogether, they do a very influential trade, their material and workmanship being of a high-class and superior order only.
The Messrs. Purdie are both gentlemen of no inconsiderable note in the city of Glasgow and elsewhere. Mr. Peter Purdie was a juror at the City of Cork, and also Edinburgh Exhibitions, and is also a guarantor for the Glasgow one about to be opened. His connection with the volunteer movement at its commencement, up till 1875, when he retired from it, attracted significant attention. He joined the 1st Lanark Volunteer Artillery as a non-commissioned officer, then became second lieutenant, then first, and subsequently captain of the 8th battery, in which capacity he was several times at Shoeburyness. Upon the last occasion Sir Garnet, now Lord Wolseley, was Inspector-general of the camp, and Mr. Purdie had the honour of being complimented by him on his being captain of the day. Personally, both the Messrs. Purdie are closely attached to business, Mr. George Purdie was in the Queen’s Own Cavalry previous to the inauguration of the Volunteer force, when he was elected sergeant of the 1st Lanark Artillery, a post which he retained for two years, then resigned, and took his lieutenancy in the 75th Lanark — a company formed entirely from the leather trade. He has been in this regiment, which is now the 3rd Volunteer battalion of the Highland Light Infantry, for twenty-seven years, and has been major during a considerable period of that time. He is now in the brevet rank of lieutenant-colonel.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)