Rait & McNicol
Rait & McNicol, Pharmaceutical Chemists, 362, Hamilton Place and 154, Dumbarton Road, Partick.—
The business carried on under the present style of Rait & McNicol was established by the senior partner, Mr. R.C. Rait, in the year 1852. Some time ago he was joined by Mr. John McNicol, and these two gentlemen are the sole principals.
Their establishment in Hamilton Place consists of a very commodious handsome shop, exceedingly well fitted-up and lighted and abundantly stocked. The establishment has ever enjoyed a high repute for the excellence of the drugs, &c. dispensed thereat. There is no better emporium for the pure and genuine drugs, &c. in Glasgow, and the dispensing department is in charge of Mr. McNicol himself, who is an expert in the profession. The firm has a splendid connection, which is local but influential and select, and they supply many of the best families in the neighbourhood. They also possess the confidence of the medical practitioners of the district, who can always rely upon their prescriptions carefully and accurately dispensed. The firm keeps perfumes of all descriptions, and likewise toilet requisites of superior quality ; and they are dealers in patent medicines of all the most eminent makers. Their stock catalogue forms quite a little volume in itself, and embraces every article in ordinary use. Messrs. Rait & McNicol are very moderate indeed in their charges, whether for goods dispensed, or sold over the counter from ordinary stock.
They have a branch emporium at 154, Dumbarton Road, Partick. Personally the members of the firm are exceedingly popular, and are greatly respected in the locality.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)