John Richmond & Co.
John Richmond & Co., Grain, Flour, and Oatmeal Merchants and Commission Agents, was founded in the year 1837 by the late James Ferguson and John Richmond, in premises situated at 37, Blackfriars Street. As trade increased they were induced by Messrs. Ewing, Angus & Co., who had built that substantial property, 58 to 60, Hope Street, to become their tenants. Mr. Ferguson retired from the business with a competency in 1851, Mr. Richmond assumed Mr. Mitchell Smith a partner in 1860, and the style of the firm at that date became Messrs. Richmond & Co. Mr. John Richmond died in 1874 ; five years later Mr. James Richmond, a son of the late Mr. John Richmond, entered the concern, since which no further change has been made in the firm.
Owing to their premises being required by the Caledonian Railway for extension of Central Station, they were compelled to remove to 67, Robertson Street, and leave the premises which, for fully forty-four years, was so well-known by the trade. Their new premises in 67, Robertson Street, which extend back to their stores in Robertson Lane, comprise a sample room with private and public office. The firm deals in grain-stuffs of every description ; also in manufactured stuffs, such as pot and pearl barley, split peas and oatmeal, and are importers of American flour and Canadian oatmeal. Their business connection extends over the three kingdoms and to several of the colonies. The firm employ about a dozen hands, with four travellers. The commercial reputation of the house is of the first order, and the trade is conducted with consummate ability and tact.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)