Sinclair & Gardner
Sinclair & Gardner, Colour Manufacturers, Windsor Colour Works, 73 and 75, Hyde Park Street.—
The business now carried on under the style of Sinclair & Gardner was founded by Mr. John Sinclair in the year 1868, in Milton Street, Port Dundas, and it was removed in 1886 to 10, Granville Street and 389, St. George’s Road, and to the present more suitable premises a few months ago.
The trade of the firm is that of colour manufacturers, and this includes colours, paints, and chemical specialities, &c. The most noted of their productions are colours used by paper-stainers and decorators. The quality of the colours has been such as to command sales, and in spite of the rather spirited competition which is going on in this particular branch of trade, they are able to hold together the connection formed. This fact speaks well for the qualify of their productions. The works cover an area of a thousand square yards, are most compact, and admirably managed. The trade of the firm is steadily increasing. Their specialities embrace fine and pulp colours for paper-stainers, lithographers, floorcloth manufacturers, and others ; antifouling composition for iron and steel ships, yachts, &c. ; varnishes for painters and coach-builders, enamel paints in patent tins, lacquers of all colours, and oils for painting, lubricating, and burning, and various chemical preparations.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)