Robert & William Sorley
Robert & William Sorley, Watch and Clock Makers, Jewellers and Silversmiths, 1 Buchanan Street and 136, Argyle Street. —
It is particularly interesting in reviewing historically the industries of this city to meet with an establishment of such old standing and extensive connections as that of Messrs. Robert and William Sorley, watch and clock makers, jewellers and silversmiths, of 1, Buchanan Street and 136, Argyle Street. This business dates back in its foundation to the year 1840, being originally established by Mr. William Jaffray, who was succeeded by Mr. Robert Sorley. This gentleman purchased the business carried on by the late Mr. Shaw in Gordon Street, and amalgamated the two, which have been successfully carried on under the title of Messrs. Robert & William Sorley, and forming one of the largest and most influential high-class jewellery and silversmith’s establishments in this city.
The handsome premises of this firm occupy a commanding comer position, having six large plate-glass windows. The internal fittings and decorations are in admirable taste. In the shop is a large and valuable stock of watches and jewellery, also a choice collection of old and modem solid silver.
It is worthy of mention that the Messrs. Sorley have the honour of designing and making the gold casket presented by the Corporation of the city of Glasgow to her Majesty the Queen on her visit this year to Glasgow, and the gold key, also presented to the Queen on the opening of the New Municipal Buildings ; also the tiara of diamonds presented by the citizens to Lady Allison for her husband’s distinguished military services. They also designed and made the gold casket given to the Queen by the Corporation of the ancient and royal burgh of Renfrew on her visit there.
A leading speciality of this firm is the manufacture of gold badges and chains, and their stock of diamonds and old silver plate and antiques. The firm also take charge of all the large clocks in the city for regulation, cleaning, &c., and have a first-class connection throughout the west of Scotland.
Messrs. R. & W. Sorley number among their patrons many of the nobility, aristocracy, and the leading residents of Glasgow and the district. Both the partners take an active part in the business. Occupying as they do an influential position in mercantile circles, they are well known and highly esteemed for their active exertions in promoting the best interests of the trade and commerce of this city.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)