Stewart & Co.
Stewart & Co., Hosiers, Glovers, and Ladies’ Outfitters, 19, Union Street.—
This house was established in 1874, at 10, Renfield Street, and subsequently removed to the present address, which is more adapted to the increased business, the premises having on the ground floor a handsome double-fronted shop, with saloon in the rear. The fittings throughout are superior in design and finish, while excellent gaslight is afforded from three cupolas suspended from the roof.
A heavy stock of hosiery, gloves, and ladies’ outfitting goods is always kept on hand ; a very tastefully laid out display being made in the spacious shop-windows. The speciality for which the firm are renowned throughout the city and its environs, is the production of millinery ; in fact, this branch forms the staple portion of the trade, though an extensive business is also done as hosiers and glovers.
Ladies’ and children’s dressmaking is an important feature of the business. In this line Messrs. Stewart & Co. have acquired a well-deserved reputation for the excellence and general superiority of the work they turn out. The trade is well-established in town and country, and the goods supplied are exclusively of the highest order. The circle of local custom is almost entirely with the upper class population. A full staff of experienced assistants are employed.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)