David Stirrat & Son
David Stirrat & Son (Richard Browne), Coach, Spring Van and Lorry Builders, 132 to 138, Port Dundas Road.—
This noted business is now carried on by Mr. Richard Browne, and deserves special prominence in these reviews owing to its influential position in the trade. The business was established so far back as the year 1783 by Mr. David Stirrat, and has been successively carried on by members of this family up to 1882, when Mr. Richard Browne became the sole proprietor.
Originally established in Renfield Street, the business was some years ago removed to the present extensive and commodious premises, which cover fully half an acre of ground, and comprise a large building of two stories, containing workshops and showrooms, also a spacious suite of well-appointed offices and counting-house, and all the accessories of a large and thoroughly organised establishment. A visit to this extensive establishment is both interesting and instructive, as exhibiting every kind of vehicle in the various stages of construction. Over thirty skilled and experienced workmen are constantly engaged.
In the showrooms are some good specimens of this firm’s manufacture, comprising coaches and carriages of most artistic design and beautifully finished, combining in an eminent degree lightness of construction with elegance and durability ; also, ready for immediate delivery, a large number of spring vans, Whitechapel carts, milk carts, lorries, bread vans, farm carts, furniture removing vans, Russell spring carts, travellers’ covered barrows, spring barrows, &c. Wheels form a leading speciality of this firm, and are well known in the trade. Of these a large quantity is always in stock, made of the very best and thoroughly seasoned materials ; axles, springs, and contractors’ plant being also made to order.
The present proprietor, Mr. Richard, Browne, possesses the advantage of long and thorough experience, and exercises in the management of his business and in maintaining the ancient prestige of the firm that sound judgment and well-directed energy which have always so strongly characterised his mercantile transactions.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)