Charles Thomson, Manufacturer, 114, Candleriggs.—
Among the most prominent manufacturing houses in Glasgow a very leading position is occupied by that over which Mr. Charles Thomson so ably presides. The business was established in 1864 at 71, Hutcheson Street, and was subsequently removed to the present address in 1878. The firm now occupy a portion of a large building at the above location, the establishment consisting of spacious warehouses, &c.
Among the most important branches of manufacture undertaken may be mentioned that of shirtings and skirtings. A leading speciality of the business is the manufacture of fancy bed-quilts, covers, &c. Like the shirtings, these are made in the country districts by weavers using a hand loom. A large number of inside and outside hands are employed, amounting to over fifty. The firm have acquired a great reputation for their excellent work. A large business is done among the leading wholesale houses and shippers, and the firm ranks among the most important in the city.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)