James Thomson & Son
Messrs. James Thomson & Son, Clothiers, 84 & 86 St. Vincent Street.—
One of the foremost among the many notable Glasgovian houses whose names have become closely and creditably identified with the development of the clothing trade is that of Messrs. James Thomson & Son, of the above address. This is now the oldest clothing business existent in the city, its history dating back to the third decade of the eighteenth century ; and a memorable incident in its records is that which chronicles the fact that the establishment was sacked and plundered by the Highland troops of Prince Charlie, in 1745, when the Young Pretender secured a vast amount of much needed clothing for his men from the weavers and merchants of Glasgow.
The business was formerly known as Ewing & Wingate, and the title so familiar to all Glasgovians has obtained for the past thirty years, under the proprietorship of Mr. James Thomson. The present premises have been occupied for about fifteen years. Therein is shown one of the finest and most complete stocks of distinctly superior tailoring, and the costume fabrics and materials in Glasgow. The specialities of the house consist in pulpit gowns, ladies' riding habits, military and naval uniforms, liveries and costumes, with every branch of gentlemen's tailoring ; and all goods supplied are exclusively of the very best quality.
The firm employ none but the best and most skilful workmen, and enjoy a reputation of the first order of eminence. They hold a special appointment as robe makers to the University. The business is conducted with marked ability and judgement in its every department, and the patronage of the most distinguished circles has always been retained.
Back to Index of Firms (1888)